April 4, 2011

civil

Tonight Lev and I are watching the Civil War documentary. Well, he is really in the other room but he's been coming in here to look at the television at regular intervals. He's also yelling commentary from the other room about the show. I remember when this was on PBS for the first time--my father watched it avidly. And when Dad turned on the TV, it was TIME FOR BED! You don't mess with my father about bedtime. Or anything else for that matter. 

A few weeks ago he told me that he had read my blog. He said that he liked it. I can say for sure that my father read it once and that was enough! He will probably never look at it again. My mother, on the other hand (Hi Mom!), is my most outspoken reader. That is her, "eileen," and she is a prolific commenter. I love that I have supportive parents!

These photographs in the Civil War documentary are truly disturbing. Bodies and bodies and even the living look dead in old photos. I'm trying to bring my DMV-related frustration into perspective by watching this. Oh wow. "Rich man's war; Poor man's fight." Not much has changed.


5 comments:

eileen said...

Hi back :) Great documentary. Beautiful music. Did you know that "Ashokan Farewell," the haunting and sad almost-theme song of the series, was written by Jay Ungar and isn't old at all?

And it seems like the last, unsung battle of your post is the one between you and the DMV. When will you tell that story?

Anonymous said...

With all the great minds working for Google shouldn't someone fix the "1 comments" that appears when you have one comment?

Anonymous said...

Hi Liz,
I don't know what you're talking about. I read your blog almost everyday! It's time for bed now...

Lizzy Louise said...

dad?

Anonymous said...

Hi Liz, Yep! It's me. Funny that Lev was watching the civil war series, because I was watching it too, both the night before last and last night. Best thing Ken Burns ever did.