April 5, 2011

whoops

Oh man I was totally wrong. I know that writing a post about a post is unnecessary (or is it "meta?") but here goes. My dad reads this blog (Hi Dad!) and he pointed it out (at least I think that was him) in the comments section of my last post. I guess I assumed that blogging about personal stuff is a chick thing and that men only want to blog about/read about technical stuff/stereo equipment. I was wrong! Sorry Papa!

OK so about five years ago I thought it was a hilarious joke to be like, "Oh the COMMUTE!" because I was so incredibly sure that I would never have a job that I could not walk or bike to. And, like, I wouldn't want a job like that, man. Well cut to now where I'm driving 15 miles into the suburbs every day to work at a job that I absolutely love, to work with people that are wonderful, and to get paid...but Oh the COMMUTE! We are really looking forward to our new place because I am a half hour closer to work and Joel will get to stop hearing me kvetch about the drive.

I feel strange being such a driver. For a long time I didn't even have a driver's license--I had lost my wallet about a year after moving to the Chi and with it my Oregon license (which I had never bothered to turn in for an Illinois one, but that is a whole different story about what I'm bad at). I used my passport for ID and it was No Big Deal that I didn't have a license--I delivered stuff on my bike, who needs a license for that? After I quit biking for work I got a job at UIC and I started biking to work, winter, spring, summer and fall. I loved the vigorous exercise that entailed just getting to work and back. I avoided the secretarial spread!

And today I purchased an exercise DVD, "The Bar Method." Which means that I am most definitely a driver. But I am also happier than I've ever been.

No comments: