April 14, 2011

Fan of all-time

Cliff Huxtable is my favorite television father. I had a crush on Theo Huxtable when I was growing up, but I always respected father Cliff. I still love that show, I love the way they talk to one another, I love the couch in the living room. I love Rudy before she grew up, I love awkward Vanessa. But mostly, I love Cliff.

Alan Alda has never been in a show that I actually like, but I love his voice so he makes the list. I'm watching M*A*S*H right now and Harry Morgan is also on this show and his voice reminds me of Sgt. Joe Friday from Dragnet. Sgt. Friday (a heavy smoker on the show--the cigarette basically has a costarring role) speaks in a slightly peeved monotone and refuses to swing his arms when he walks. In real life he was the meticulous writer, producer and sometimes director of that show. You know the part at the end, where there is that sweaty arm swinging a mallet and engraving "VII"? That is his arm. He's another one of my favorite television men.

Ralph Cramden, he's excitable. I can appreciate that. I also like the enthusiastic way he swears people off. Oh, whoa, and totally Doug from King of Queens. Although Carrie frequently emasculates him, which is a turn-off.

Ok but my favorite TV man is, hands-down, Dan Connor. Dan Connor! He is handsome, funny and smart. And I've seen him throw a hammer through a sheet of drywall. He has gotten into fights, and won handily. And he loves Roseanne, even though she is flawed. That's what matters -- undying love and affection. And a great script.

2 comments:

Keith said...

I love Dragnet's Sargent Joe Friday and Ralph Cramden of the Honeymooners too. I had no idea that it was Jack Webb that hammered that "VII" into the stone at the end of his show! Love the minimalist set of both shows - particularly the Honeymooners - all worked, and still does.

Lizzy Louise said...

Haha, I totally think of you when I watch that show (every sunday, at five!). And that really should say that cliff huxtable is my favorite tv dad, obvs you are my favorite dad