April 9, 2011

paean to red cabbage

Tonight I marinated tempeh (ginger, garlic, honey and soy marinade) and grilled it with asparagus, kale and red cabbage. Can I just tell you how much I love red cabbage? I love red cabbage for a variety of reasons--it is a nice visual contrast in a mostly-green dish, it tastes sweet, stays crunchy, and, most importantly, it lasts forever in the refrigerator. I know that isn't a legitimate reason to love a particular type of vegetable, and that I'm probably not supposed to admit to cooking with old cabbage, but nothing breaks my heart more than throwing out what was once perfectly good veggies because somebody (me) forgot about them in the vegetable drawer. 

I also made quinoa with flaxseeds. And as a nod to the "fast" that my friend told me about, I mixed honey and vinegar with water and drank it before the meal. 
Tempeh, asparagus, kale, red cabbage and quinoa. Dinner!

No comments: