March 1, 2011

"Just be yourself."

In high school I tried out for a one-act play. I had been in a school play and was not impressed by the over-actors, which seemed to be nearly every player. Before the tryout I thought about my favorite television shows and how the actors barely seemed to be "acting"--it seemed so natural! (I probably should have thought about my favorite plays that I'd seen, but I was only 15. Forgive me.) Before the audition, I was backstage with a case of nerves. Robert, the theater teacher, said to me, "Just be yourself."

I auditioned. I was relaxed and, I thought, "natural." A senior that I was friends with (oooooh) was even the director of the one-act. I thought I had it in the bag.

To my utter surprise, when the parts were posted the next day I had not been chosen. I asked my friend why he didn't choose me and he replied that he didn't think that I was "interested."

Today I'm going to another type of audition--a job interview. I want this, like, really want this, and I hope that the interview goes swimmingly. I'm going to be "Lizzy plus." Which is to say, I'm going to take the "be yourself" advice seriously, but I'm going to be my best self.

Wish me luck!

3 comments:

eileen said...

Good luck!!

Mops Bria said...

this blog is cool and fun to read. good luck!

Anonymous said...

you are the best, lizzy!